Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Enjoyment of Reading Aloud




The Boys Reading!








I just thought I would post a few of the books we have enjoyed reading together along with a poem about reading aloud. A few, for the younger children, that I have enjoyed reading are Make Way for Ducklings, Goodnight Moon, Guess How Much I Love You, Blueberries for Sal, The Little House, Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, Katy and the Big Snow, Lentil, Cranberry Thanksgiving, and The Complete Adventures of Curious George. A few selections from each of the kids - Curtis has enjoyed Our Island Story, Mary Poppins and The Burgess Bird Book for Children. A couple from Samuel - The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter and The Little House Series. On to Alexander's choices - The Adventures of Peter Cottontail and The Ugly Duckling and Other Fairy Tales. Last but not least of the children capable of giving me an opinion is Briana and her favorite is The Lion Storyteller Bedtime Book. And a book one must not forget The Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh. This is the book that my Mom had my Dad read aloud back when they were dating.



When Mother Reads Aloud

When Mother reads aloud, the past
Seems real as every day;
I hear the tramp of armies vast,
I see the spears and lances cast,
I join the thrilling fray;
Brave knights and ladies fair and proud
I meet when Mother reads aloud.
When Mother reads aloud, far lands
Seem very near and true;
I cross the deserts’ gleaming sands,
Or hunt the jungle’s prowling bands,
Or sail the ocean blue.
Far heights, whose peaks the cold mists shroud,
I scale, when Mother reads aloud.

When Mother reads aloud, I long
For noble deeds to do...
To help the right, redress the wrong;
It seems so easy to be strong,
So simple to be true.
Oh, thick and fast the visions crowd
My eyes, when Mother reads aloud.

- Author Unknown




1 comment:

Brenda said...

Neat! I love to see kids reading good books. Their grandmother will be proud!