Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thursday's Update

Today Dad had an Upper GI endoscopy. They found a white plaque on the wall of the duodenum. A sample of this was taken and sent for biopsy.

A colonoscopy was done and the source of the bleeding was not found. So he had a CT Scan of the abdomen where they discovered areas of the colon not receiving enough blood flow. This is called Ischemic Colitis and basically has to be given time to heal.

Tomorrow morning Dad will have a CT scan of the brain to see if there is any change from Monday's scan. The doctors will meet after that to discuss what to do for sure in regards to keeping clots from forming because coumadin cannot be used. As of today, the plan is to put Dad on a low dose heparin drip to prevent blood clots. But this may not be the decision after tomorrow's scan and their meeting.

He remains somewhat incoherent today.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Thank you for the faithful updates. I read them all and am still praying for your dad and your family. God bless.