Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Tribute to My Dad written by His Niece

My cousin wrote a beautiful tribute to my Dad and she has graciously given me permission to share it with you all.


My Tribute to My Uncle

It’s always strange when someone passes, especially family members. My uncle passed away this last week. I wasn't able to attend the funeral so I have spent a lot of time thinking about the man that he was. One of my earliest memories of him was the first time I fished. I was about 3 years old at the time. We were standing on his back porch throwing the line into the pond below. I remember him helping hold the big rod and reel and then helping me turn the reel to catch the fish when I got a bite on my line. It was a small fish, but being 3 years old, I was just excited to catch a fish. I remember the times we'd stop by the house in Cincinnati on the way to Pennsylvania and how I watched the togetherness of his family. His family was a model family. Having been going thru rough times in my own family, I can't say I didn't envy the togetherness of his family. But I really respected him for it. He and his family gave me a model for which I hope to model my own family one day. They gave me a standard to live up to. For that I am very grateful. He was very much a gentleman. Last year at our family reunion I remember him leading us all in singing a couple hymns with Grandma---the last time we would ever all sing together with Grandma. I will never forget that. That was a very precious moment to me. I don’t remember him ever raising his voice--unless it was out of agitation regarding some idea or action in the world that went against the scriptures. I respected his love of and his respect for standing up for what the Bible says. I remember the last time I saw him at my Dad's in Colorado this past August. I made dinner for him and my Dad and Noalani one evening (I am so thankful I was able to have the opportunity to do something for him). He was showing us one of his loves--photography. (He was an amazing photographer.) Something on TV was talking about the theory of the earth's age and its formations millions of years ago. Without missing a beat, my uncle quickly took a stand for the foolishness of evolution's theories, even though he knew not everyone in the house would agree with him. I respected him for speaking out and speaking up for the truth. Although our family is often spread out everywhere and miles apart, I will never forget you Uncle Francis. You've impacted my life in ways you can never imagine. You will be very missed. I love you.

Marsha

No comments: